Friday, January 4, 2008

Vertigo

A black pool of nothingness,
Complete, boundless darkness.
The whirlpool swirls swiftly,
And sucks me in, deeply, slowly,
Tormenting me, frightening me.

I let out a cry of unadulterated fear,
But the sound doesn't reach anyone's ear.
I scream until my throat becomes sore,
But I know this isn't the end - there's more,
More of this torture, more of pain and gore.

Precariously shifting, dangerously swaying -
Just where is the ground beneath my feet going?
I search frantically for some hope, some light.
I panic, thinking of my situation, my scary plight.
I'm falling, I'm falling into the pitch black night.

As I slip away through the bottomless tunnel,
My confused and scattered thoughts I try to channel.
No hope anywhere - no one to hold me close,
Protect me from this torment, share my woes.
I may be lost forever in this black hole, there's nothing to lose!

My head is reeling, rapidly picking up pace.
With trembling hands, I try to cover my face.
Faster, faster, the world seems to shrink around me.
Where is sunlight? The sun is no longer to be seen!
Why am I the one to suffer? What could this be?

Consciousness comes flooding back, gushing into my head,
Bringing a physical ache so intense, I'm almost dead;
Bringing the memories of real life, reality, all afresh and anew;
I wince ever so slightly, for my worldly worries aren't few.
It's not just black surrounding me anymore, there are other hues!

I blink once, I blink twice. My vision gradually clears.
I wash my face with cold water, washing away my fears
Of death, of life, of everything fearful. A few helping hands
Have just steadied me. I'm back, from the nightmare-lands,
After rushing in and out through the black desert's sands

No comments: