Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Broken Dreams

The little child who didn't get the toy she asked for.
The slightly bigger girl who watched her bicycle
Being sold, right before her tear-filled eyes.
The young, innocent girl who felt constantly out of place
In a world that was just a wee bit too fickle.

The girl who couldn't make too many friends,
And just couldn't belong anywhere. The girl who could never
Please her father even if she tried too hard.
The girl who let go of her dreams of becoming Daddy's
Little girl, knowing they wouldn't come true, ever.

The girl who didn't get the marks she deserved.
The girl who did not study what she really wanted to.
The girl who watched her talents go unrecognized.
The girl who was never loved back by the one man
She loved with all her heart, like all romantic teenagers do.

As I kept turning the pages of my photo album,
I could clearly see the changes I'd gone through.
The same girl, sitting and watching the filmstrip
Of her life moving before her eyes. The album was only
A collection of my broken dreams, only too well I knew.

No comments: