Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Wave

As wave after wave touched the shore and thrashed,
Mindlessly, I watched the foam form and disappear.
My mind kept recollecting, recalling, unabashed,
Recollecting old times when even waiting was bliss.

Two hours for just two minutes together -
Heaven, pure heaven. Touches, caresses,
Kisses - as light and as soft as a feather.
I missed them all, but did I miss him?

I wished I'd lied to him about love.
I wished I'd pretended everything was all right.
I wished I hadn't searched something above
And better than what we both shared.

He found what we had perfectly adequate.
But to me, it all made no sense at all.
How could something almost non-existent sate
My deepest needs, fulfill my deepest desires?

Wave after wave of memory in my mind
Endlessly, determinedly kept pursuing one another.
Slowly I could realize we were just being kind.
Kindness does not even come close to love.

"Do you want passion?" my friend once asked me.
Then, I could have answered yes, truthfully.
Of course, I wanted passion, now I could see clearly.
I needed friendship, kindness and love, but with passion.

Yet another wave touched my feet softly
And receded, retracing its steps backwards.
I'm like the wave, I knew - searching relentlessly
For that one love I could gift all my tomorrows to.

No comments: