Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I Want To Break Free

I used to belong to this woman
Who adored me, nurtured and petted,
Held me close and listened to me talk.
With love and the utmost care, she abetted
All my actions, and all my thoughts.

I was free to speak my mind.
I was free to tell her what I felt
About every situation she faced.
I was free to burn with rage or melt,
Whenever I chose to react.

She listened to my voice,
And made decisions accordingly.
I was important to her, indispensable.
Anything that hurt her, hurt me.
We were very close to each other.

When she turned eighteen, unexpectedly
She lost me, and I was separated
From her. All of a sudden, I belonged
To someone else. It was ill-fated,
For he never wanted me at all.

I was broken, with self-pity and hurt
When I heard that quite willingly
She'd lost me to him. I wanted to go back,
But I'd lost my way. Unfortunately, he
Didn't care what happened of me.

I want to break free of this man's hold on me.
But she who was, to me, like a mother
Had lost me forever. Here, I watch him
Love another woman, possess another
Woman's heart, with joy and eagerness.

I cry, thinking of that one woman
To whom I once belonged. The woman
Who cared for me, cherished, and protected.
She broke me with her love for the one man
Who would never love her, till the end of time.

No comments: